This is bad news for California Rep. Adam Schiff who has wanted to keep his one sided impeachment inquiry against President Donald trump exactly that, one sided.
But his fellow California Rep. Devin Nunes has rained on his impeachment parade by finding a clause that allows the Republicans in the minority to call their own witnesses.
Schiff had been denying the Republican requests after his Democrats conveniently changed the House Rules prior to the impeachment inquiry.
But Nunes found the loophole that he, and other Republicans who signed his letter, says is not affected by the rule change.
“Although Speaker [Nancy] Pelosi promised that Democrats would ‘treat the President with fairness,’” Nunes said in the letter. “you have repeatedly prevented Republicans from fully and fairly examining issues central to the Democrat’s ‘impeachment inquiry.’
“Therefore, pursuant to House Rule XI, Clause 2(j)(1), we, the undersigned Republican Members of the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, exercise our right to convene a hearing with witnesses selected by the Minority to testify in the Democrats’ ‘impeachment inquiry,’” he said.
The House rulebook is gigantic and it had to be a gigantic task to find a clause that would allow the GOP to call witnesses, but ti appears Nunes is correct according to the rule.
“Whenever a hearing is conducted by a committee on a measure or matter,” the rule, named HR XI, Clause 2(j)(1), says, “the minority members of the committee shall be entitled, upon request to the chair by a majority of them before the completion of the hearing, to call witnesses selected by the minority to testify with respect to that measure or matter during at least one day of hearing thereon.”
If Nunes and his colleagues are correct on this rule it could mean that the whistleblower, whose identity has been hidden, could be called as a witness.
It also means that Rep. Schiff himself could be called as a witness as the Democrats chances of successfully impeaching and removing President Trump appear to be at an all time low.
Nunes has been a thorn in the Democrats’ side for the entire impeachment hearings as evidenced by his recent opening statement where he cut them to the core.
hroughout these bizarre hearings, the Democrats have struggled to make the case that President Trump committed some impeachable offense on his phone call with Ukrainian President Zelensky. The offense itself changes depending on the day, ranging from a quid pro quo, to extortion, to bribery, to obstruction of justice, then back to quid pro quo.
It’s clear why the Democrats have been forced onto this carousel of accusations:
- President Trump had good reason to be wary of Ukrainian election meddling against his campaign and of widespread corruption in that country.
- President Zelensky, who didn’t even know aid to Ukraine had been paused at the time of the call, has repeatedly said there was nothing wrong with the conversation.
- The aid was resumed without the Ukrainians taking the actions they were supposedly being coerced into doing.
- Aid to Ukraine under President Trump has been much more robust than it was under President Obama, thanks to the provision of Javelin anti-tank weapons.
As numerous witnesses have testified, temporary holds on foreign aid occur fairly frequently for many different reasons. So how do we have an impeachable offense here when there’s no actual misdeed and no one even claiming to be a victim?
The Democrats have tried to solve this dilemma with a simple slogan: “He got caught!” President Trump, we are to believe, was just about to do something wrong, and getting caught was the only reason he backed down from whatever nefarious thought-crime the Democrats are accusing him of almost committing.
I once again urge Americans to consider the credibility of the Democrats on this committee who are now hurling these charges. For the last three years, it’s not President Trump who got caught, it’s the Democrats who got caught.
- They got caught falsely claiming they had more than circumstantial evidence that Trump colluded with the Russians to hack the 2016 elections.
- They got caught orchestrating this entire farce with the Whistleblower and lying about their secret meetings with him.
- They got caught defending the false allegations of the Steele dossier, which was paid for by the Democrats.
- They got caught breaking their promise that impeachment would only go forward with bipartisan support because of how damaging it is to the American people.
- They got caught running a sham impeachment process featuring secret depositions, hidden transcripts, and an unending flood of Democrat leaks.
- They got caught trying to obtain nude photos of President Trump from Russian pranksters pretending to be Ukrainians.
- And they got caught covering up for Alexandra Chalupa—a Democratic National Committee operative who colluded with Ukrainian officials to smear the Trump campaign—by improperly redacting her name from deposition transcripts and refusing to let Americans hear her testimony as a witness in these proceedings.
That is the Democrats’ pitiful legacy in recent years: They. Got. Caught.