Another day, another activist judge using their power to harass President Donald Trump.
A Bronx Supreme Court judge has ruled that Trump must give a video deposition as part of a lawsuit alleging his staff assaulted left-wing protesters outside Trump Tower in 2015.
The decision comes after Trump’s lawyers argued that forcing a sitting president to give a deposition requires a “showing of exceptional circumstances” and the witness must possess unique first-hand knowledge of the claims.
Justice Doris Gonzalez rejected their argument and said the president could testify by videotape.
“More than 200 years ago our founders sought to escape an oppressive, tyrannical governance in which absolute power vested with a monarch,” Gonzalez wrote in her decision. “Put more plainly, no government official, including the Executive, is above the law.”
Efrain Galicia, Florencia Tejeda Perez, Gonzalo Cruz Franco, Miguel Villalobos and Norberto Garcia are suing Trump, The Trump Organization LLC, the Trump campaign and three of his security guards, including Keith Schiller, for assault, battery and stealing their protest signs.
“President Trump’s relationship with the other defendants is now central to plaintiffs’ prosecution of their claims,” Gonzalez wrote. “As such, his testimony is indispensable.”
The plaintiffs’ lawyer Benjamin Dictor wrote in court papers that his clients were peacefully protesting negative comments that then-presidential candidate had recently made about Mexican immigrants when his security guards attacked them and confiscated their signs.
Dictor said that he intends to argue that Trump condoned and directed the violent actions of his staffers Sept. 3, 2015.
“The decision today was not surprising because the law has been clear that a plaintiff is entitled to the trial testimony of an adverse party and no one is above the law including Donald Trump,” Dictor said of the decision.
The trial is slated to begin Sept. 26.
This is another scathing example of how left-wing judges are using their power to go after the president.
Surprisingly, there were two major rulings over the weekend regarding Trump.
Late last week, a federal judge in California granted the Trump campaign’s request to block a new law that requires presidential and gubernatorial candidates to release five years of tax returns to run in the state’s primary elections.
The law signed by Democrat Gov. Gavin Newsom would have left the sitting president off of the ballot in California’s March 2020 primary unless he released the last five years worth of his tax returns.
Perhaps terrified of losing the 2020 election — which seems likely — Democrats have been trying for years to get Trump to hand over his tax returns.
Democrats are all out of ideas to stop Trump, so they continue to hope activist judges on the courts will help stall the president’s agenda.