LA TIMES: Another 15,000 Person ‘Migrant Caravan’ to Leave Honduras January 15th

Fox News’ Sean Hannity has reported that a new “migrant caravan” is due to leave Honduras and head toward the United States on January 15th.

With the caravan, 15,000 migrants are set to embark on the journey.

“They say they are even bigger and stronger than the last caravan,” Irma Garrido stated. (Garrido is a member of the migrant advocacy group Reactiva Tijuana Foundation.)

LA Times reports:

Meanwhile, thousands of Central American migrants from a caravan that left Honduras in October remain stranded at the U.S.-Mexico border and languishing in crowded Tijuana shelters while they wait out a lengthy process to file asylum requests with the United States.

Coordinators who helped direct the migrants on the 2,000-mile trek with bullhorns, arranging for buses and giving advice along the way, have mostly vanished. Many of the migrants say they feel abandoned and unsure where to turn next. Some are ready to return home.

Garrido said this new, larger caravan will probably be joined by more people in El Salvador and in Guatemala, but she said they don’t plan on coming straight to the Tijuana-San Diego border, where resources are already stretched nearly to a breaking point.

“They will stay in the south of Mexico in Chiapas and Oaxaca. Their aim is to request work there,” Garrido said.

Mexico’s President, Andrés Manuel López Obrador has stated that there is both visas and work for Central American immigrants in Mexico.

During his inauguration speech, Obrador made a promise to create public works projects, like planting 2 million trees and building his Maya Train, which is intended to connect cities in three different states in the Yucatan peninsula in addition Tabasco and Chiapas.

The job, which is estimated to cost $8-billion, is expected to make hundreds of thousands of new jobs in Mexico’s southern states.

The LA Times reports:

Last week, Mexico and the United States agreed to develop a plan to curb Central American migration. The plan includes a $25-billion investment from Mexico into its southern states over the next five years. The United States will contribute $4.8 billion to Mexico and $5.8 billion to the Northern Triangle of Central America, which is made up of Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. Most of the U.S. funding will be allocated from existing aid programs.

El Diario de Chiapas, a newspaper for the southern state of Mexico, reported that, like the last caravan, news about the groups’ plans to leave Honduras, their numbers and which routes they would be taking is spreading mostly by social media.

Reactions to the news in Chiapas was not good.

“Well, now the government does something. That work is for Mexicans that need it,” stated Anna Pérez from Palenque, Mexico, on her Facebook page. “Opportunistic people who just want to take advantage of the Mexicans.”

The infamous migrant caravan that departed from Honduras in October wasn’t the first. The LA Times explains, “Crowds of migrants often travel together for protection from criminals who stalk the routes.”

For more than 15 years, Pueblo Sun Fronteras has helped migrants caravans travel from Central America, generally bringing in the most people prior to Easter. Until President Trump started tweeting about the organization just before the 2018 midterm elections, many Americans were unaware of its’ existence.

The LA Times explains, “The El Diario de Chiapas newspaper reported that even though Tijuana would not be the newest caravan’s initial destination, some of the participants plan to eventually make their way north to the city to try to enter the United States. In Tijuana, the presence of Central American migrants has sparked protest and even violence.  Last week, two people threw a canister of tear gas into Tijuana’s El Barretal shelter, Mexican federal police said. On Dec. 15, two Honduran teenagers were viciously beaten, tortured and killed by low-level members of the Jalisco New Generation cartel, highlighting the dangers for unaccompanied minors in the caravan.”

After the teens died, a warning was issued by the Consulate of Honduras, which stated, “We reiterate the call to Honduran nationals that they not risk their lives and the lives of their families on the dangers that the migratory route represents, where migrants are exposed to being victims of traffickers.”

Send this to a friend