Steve Mnuchin Announces Historic New Measure That Could Save American Familes Big Time

President Donald Trump announced that he and Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin are working on a “big” and “bold” legislative package to address the coronavirus crisis.

During a White House briefing on Tuesday afternoon, the president and his team stated that the package will include “looking at sending checks to Americans immediately.”

Mnuchin said the goal would be to get checks to Americans in two weeks to help workers cope with the economic effects of the crisis.

The president wouldn’t say exactly how much those checks might be — Republican Senators Tom Cotton and Mitt Romney have suggested $1,000 per adult.

“We’re going big,” the president told reporters in the White House Briefing Room.

Mnuchin made the announcement when he stated that the Trump administration wants to put money in the pockets of American citizens “immediately” to help with the coronavirus.

“Americans need cash now,” Mnuchin said. “I mean now in the next two weeks.”

“The president has instructed me that we have to do this now,” Mnuchin noted.

Mnuchin continued by saying that the plan would be clearer by “the end of the day” on Tuesday.

He also stated that the plan will most likely include all adults besides millionaires.

“I think it’s clear, We don’t need to send people who make a million dollars a year checks,” Mnuchin said. “I think we’re going to do something that gets money to them as quickly as possible. That may not be an accurate way of doing it. Some people obviously shouldn’t be getting a check for $1,000 but we’ll have an idea at the end of the day what we will be doing.”

“We don’t want airlines going out of business. We don’t people losing their jobs,” the president said.

WATCH:

American families potentially getting a check from the government to help them financially during these tough times is a big deal.

CNBC reports:

More than 183,000 people have contracted the COVID-19 virus and at least 7,167 have died, according to Johns Hopkins University.

In the U.S., more than 4,600 people have caught the coronavirus and at least 85 people have died, according to Johns Hopkins.

Meanwhile, lawmakers on Capitol Hill are working to push through more emergency spending plans to respond to the virus. Trump signed an $8.3 billion funding package earlier in March, and a second bill is currently working its way through Congress.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer’s office said Monday that he will put forth a third proposal with at least $750 billion in spending to combat the coronavirus pandemic

The White House has been very busy in recent weeks taking major actions to combat the coronavirus.

Last week, Vice President Mike Pence announced the nation’s largest health insurance companies have agreed to waive all co-payments for coronavirus testing and treatment, demonstrating the Trump administration had secured a deal to ensure the government will partner with the private industry to benefit the American people.

During a White House meeting with Trump and top health insurance company executives, Pence estimated almost 240 million Americans would be covered between the private insurers’ plans and their support Medicare and Medicaid programs.

Trump delivered an address from the Oval Office last Wednesday night and detailed a series of actions his administration has taken and plans to take in order to combat the coronavirus.

Trump has also decided to suspend all travel from the European Union as well as the U.K. and Ireland.

The president also declared a national emergency over the weekend.

Send this to a friend